Why should I volunteer?
People choose to volunteer for a variety of reasons. For some, it offers the chance to give something back to the community or make a difference to the people around them. For others, it provides an opportunity to develop new skills or build on existing experience and knowledge.
Below are some of the reasons people choose to volunteer. For some it provides an opportunity to:
- Give something back to an organisation that has impacted on a person's life, either directly or indirectly
- Make a difference to the lives of others
- Help the environment
- Help others less fortunate or without a voice
- Feel valued and part of a team
- Spend quality time away from work or a busy lifestyle
- Gain confidence and self-esteem
For some, volunteering can be a route to employment, or a chance to try something new which may lead to a career change. From this perspective, volunteering can be a way of:
- Gaining new skills, knowledge and experience
- Developing existing skills and knowledge
- Enhancing a CV
- Improving one's employment prospects
- Gaining an accreditation
- Using one's professional skills and knowledge to benefit others (usually described as pro bono)
For others, volunteering appeals because of its social benefits. These include:
- Meeting new people and making new friends
- A chance to socialise
- Getting to know the local community
Do I have to live in Puerto Rico to volunteer?
No! Anyone can volunteer, and many organizations provide housing and other accomadations for their volunteers. If not, you may have to find a place to stay on your own.
Do I have to register to volunteer?
Yes. In order to sign up for an opportunity, you have to be registered through our platform. Click here to sign-up!
How do I find volunteer opportunities?
You can search for opportunities under "opportunity search" or the "opportunity calendar" which lists the opportunities by date.
How do I keep track of my hours?
Each time you complete a volunteer opportunity, the coordinator for that project will certify the hours and the platform will keep track of them for you.